Friday, June 20, 2014

Off to Brussels

Our last morning in London


 and then to the train station.


Got on the right train and headed for Brussels.  Yep, it goes under the English Channel and directly into Brussels.  We are now sitting in Brussels waiting for our train to Amsterdam.  All announcements are made in Dutch, German, French and then English I think.  We're not in Kansas anymore Toto.  However, things were going well.  Until.........

We are now on our way to Amsterdam, but let me tell you our little tale:

I went to check the departures board to see if our train was up and it was.  Only problem was, there were two departing at the same time and it looked like they were both going to Amsterdam Central.  I ask a nicely dressed business man next to me if he spoke English.  He said yes indeed and in truth he spoke it as well as I do.  He looked at my ticket and said he thought he was on the fast one and we were on the slow one.  So off we went to track 18.  Got there and the sign said going to Antwerp.  We ask a nice lady if we were in the right place as the Antwerp train was leaving earlier than ours.  She actually ran down and ask a train person and he told us to get on the train.  So we did...... then the lady who helped us ask somebody on the train and they said we were on the wrong train.  At the next stop the young man she asked helped us get off and into the station, but ended up directing us to the wrong train.  Before it left we found out we were again on the wrong train.  I tripped over one of my bags and cracked my head on the hand hold, but fortunately we managed to get me my bags and Terry and hers off before it left.  

We then ran and spoke to two train persons, who spoke very little to no English.  One of them managed to make us understand we needed to go back to Brussels Central.  Terry showing off her language skills says "Gracias" to two Belgians and we were off again.  Ha.

We jumped on that train with our bags (really beginning to hate these bags now) and back we go to Central.  Jumped off and checked departures for the THALYS train (ours) and found it was going to be at track 3a.  Off we tore with our bags and up the escalator, where I nearly fell again trying to get off the escalator.  One guy directed us in one direction for car 17.  Wrong direction, we were directed to the other end of the train, where this very nice train lady said we were at the right car, and on the right train for Amsterdam.  I can't believe we made it in time to get on the original train we were supposed to be on, THE FAST TRAIN.  Hint the THALYS on our ticket indicated the train line we were supposed to be on.  

Now here is the kicker.  This all took place within about twenty five minutes of getting the bad advice from Mr. Businessman.  Live and learn.  We hope to be smarter next time or ask a smarter guy.  Ha.

By the time we got our bags and selves on the train and settled, I was melting in sweat.  But guess what?  Terry was sweating too, and she never sweats.  We both broke out laughing at ourselves.  Probably would have cried if we had missed it.  We made it, although a little bedraggled.

Hopefully, finding our new home in Amsterdam won't be quite as stressful. 

No more trauma.  We are here and it is a big and lovely flat. 

Teo had a nice bottle of red waiting for us and boy did we need it.


From our front windows


 We walked down the street to a little cafe that was a tapas bar.  Literally, we ate at the bar.  It was really busy, rowdy and noisy but fun.  Bartender/waiter took our picture.  Albondigas (meatballs in tomato sauce) a green salad and a potato and beet salad, that was really nummy.  Who would have thought to put potatos and beets in the same salad.  It may be my new favorite.

Found a little grocery store and got a few basics, then back home.  I am totally unpacked for the first time in 6 weeks.  Hoorah!!  Resting tomorrow.

2 comments:

kpannabecker and jpannabecker said...

I bet you were never so happy to reach a destination. I'm guessing you have a Euro-pass and you can hop from one train to another without having to buy a ticket each time. I'm sure those Belgian gentlemen understood "gracias"

Lorwood said...

OK so This is my first look at Sharon's blog...busy. New computer driving me nuts! Australia and New Zealand trip was great. Week with Alex GREAT! House dusty..OH well! Promise to catch up on both your blogs. Gracias??...You really do need me! Have fun in Amsterdam...new haircut, Terry?