Sunday, August 17, 2014

Brussels (Day two Cont'd)

We decided to head back into town for lunch and got off the bus in an area of cafes and brasseries which was  also within walking distance of our hotel.  We sat down at an outdoor cafe "Le Grand Cafe" outside, but then the sun went away and the wind was cool.  We opted to go inside to eat and got a table.  

We had just ordered when it begain to rain cats and dogs.  Two ladies came in and sat at the little table next to us.  It is hard not to get to know your neighbor in these restaurants, as you can literally touch the table next to you without reaching.  While we waited for our lunch, I was looking at my pictures from "Mini-Europe" and the lady sitting next to me said "What a nice picture".  "You were in Paris?".  I said no we were in Brussels at "Mini-Europe" and Walla:  we met Elisabeth and Josie, two lovely ladies who live in Brussels.  

We sat for almost two hours eating our lunch and talking to these two women.  I am constantly amazed at the friendliness of people and how open they are to visitors.  

By the time we finished, the rain had stopped and Elizabeth pointed us in the right direction to go back to the hotel.  Streets as usual were alive

In honor of our meeting new friend Elisabeth, we finally succumbed to the chocolate and bought some at Elisabeth Chocolate shop
My favorite; orange peel in dark chocolate.  Terry bought some cookies and some other luscious looking goody.

On the way back we went by the Cathedral not far from our hotel.  
beautiful stained glass

the center columns had statues of the Saints such as 
St. Peter
St Matthew

We made our way back to the hotel for a little rest.  Terry needed a nap after eating a big black pot full of mussels for lunch.  Mussels are another of Belgiums's taste treats.  Eeeeewwww!! I am not a mussels girl.  But I did eat another of the foods they are famous for. I had some of Terry's French Fries. HA.  That's a food group I can like.  Also had a lovely bowl of Cauliflower Soup and French Bread.  YUM!

We found a little restaurant for dinner and then walked around until about 10:00 PM. 
when there was to be a music and light show at the Grand-Place.  By the time we arrived, we were too late to get near the "Flower Carpet" where the lights were being displayed, but the music was nice.  We then headed home for the night.

You remember those beautiful pieces of art that Terry and I both fell in love with on day one.  We have passed that shop and drooled several times a day on our travels around this area.  Well, we went back after breakfast this morning and each bought one for our next home in America wherever that may be. 

We have purchased our first major piece of "stuff".  Had it shipped home to my sister for safekeeping until my return.  Her name is "Lea" and she is a sculpture of brass and crystal by an artist named Lohe.

Terry's is Dorothy

Took this picture last night, but we went back here for lunch before catching our train back to Amsterdam.  The weather was nice so we sat outside.  My sandwich and salad arrived and needed a little salt for my salad.  Seeing a little saucer of what I thought might be sea salt, I stuck my finger in to taste it.  It is a good thing I did, because turns out it was sand for putting out ones cigarette.  There was a little lady sitting next to us who laughed and said "Non Non for cigarette".  Well it certainly wasn't sea salt. HA.   Once I had a little water to remove the sand, we all had a good laugh.  Time to go home.

1 comment:

kpannabecker and jpannabecker said...

I love your sculptures.
That's nice the lady told you it was sand. Some people would have loved to see you taste it and then tell you what it was for. Funny.