Sunday, May 25, 2014

Windermere, The Lake District, England

We arrived late afternoon and got settled in our townhouse.  We are here for a week and hopefully we can all recover from our various stages of the cold.  We went in search of the grocery for breakfast and other necessities (wine). We had dinner at a little restaurant and then loaded up with goodies for the house.  


WiFi is weird.  They have a block on the wi-fi and it won't allow us to bring up our blog sites.  Something about unacceptable social media.  Must be all those pictures of us eating and drinking. Ha.  We can enter and post new subject matter, but we can't look at it here. Wierd.  My cold is much better. No more sore throat and just a little stuffy.  This area is where Beatrix Potter lived and wrote many of her books. Also William Wordsworth.  We are just up the hill from the lake and an easy walk into town.  Nice area.

Sunday, we decided to go to Church here in Windermere.  St. Martins; an Anglican Church.  




JoAnne and Ginger sat in back and met new friends around them.  Terry and I sat in our usual up front position.  We happened to be sitting behind the Minister's wife Susan.  She turned and introduced herself and said her husband is retired, but giving the sermon this morning because the regular pastor was away on holiday.  She was a talker and told us all about her family.  They spend their summers here in the Lake District and then go to South Africa near Cape Town in winter.  The Pastor was from a mixed race family in South Africa and when he was 12 or so, because of apartheid, his family emigrated to England. They met, married and you could say they have a real mixed bag of children.  I believe she said they have four of their own and three adopted, one African, one Jamaican and one Vietnamese.  After the service they served tea and coffee and we met some of the other members of the congregation.  It was quite a nice morning.  

We walked back to the house and exchanged out church shoes for walking shoes and headed out to find lunch.  Walked all up and down the streets.  Lots of pople in town and at the lake.  It's a bank holiday.  Hopefully they will all go home tomorrow and we will be the only tourists left in town. Ha.



Found 2 red hats; bought none

I thought the price tag was a nice touch.  Just call me Minnie Pearl.



There are tons of swans on the lake 



Back home after tea to relax for the rest of the day.



Sent from my iPad

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sharon,
You are doing a wonderful job with this blog. I almost feel like I'm right there with you. Miss you both! Mike

kpannabecker and jpannabecker said...

I agree. I'm enjoying this tour with you from my couch. I'm glad you're staying at a townhouse for a week. I feel much more relaxed having a house to stay in as my home base. OH, I mean, your home base. You're wearing me out with all your busy-ness. It all looks like fun, especially all the places you stop to have refreshments.